Today I continue the 10-Day You Challenge by talking about my 7 wants (desires) in life:
1. I want my kids to be happy. Both are adults now; the oldest will be starting her 4th year of college and our youngest her first. Both are struggling with what they want to do with their lives. I tell them, “Do what makes you happy. Life is too short not to be happy.” You can have any job or no job. You can be fat or thin, married, single, or “it’s complicated”. It doesn’t matter. If you’re happy, you’re golden. I feel like I’m at a point in my life where I’m genuinely happy, but I’m in my 40’s. I hope that my kids find happiness much sooner than I did.
2. I want to be able to stop worrying about things I have no control over. It’s a work in progress, but I can’t tell you how many countless hours I have spent fretting and worrying about things that I have absolutely no control over. Over the last several years, when I feel myself start to get worked up about something, I go for a run. Or I meditate. Too often, though, I still let myself get fraught with worry. I want to learn to be in the moment and let go.
3. I want everyone to become vegan. I think this is a pretty large order to fill, but I’m optimistic that someday soon in our future, eating and using animal products is going to be like owning slaves, women not being allowed to vote, and gay marriages being banned – it will be HISTORY, and no longer a part of our culture.
4. I want to win the Mega Million lottery. Not because I want to be rich and have fancy homes, cars, and clothes, though. I want to have lots of money so that my husband and I can be debt-free and so my kids don’t have to worry about what college they can afford. I want to have the money to have a sanctuary for all kinds of abused, abandoned, and sick animals. I want to be able to give money to organizations that need help.
Disclaimer: I would spend some money on traveling and running shoes, though! 🙂
5. I want to give up my addiction to TV. I’ve always loved watching TV, but sometimes I ignore or neglect other things because “my show is on”. In school, I’d procrastinate on my homework or studying for a test to watch TV. I can think of lots of other things that I could be doing that would be better than watching TV, but instead I plant my butt on the couch to stare at whatever’s on TV. Sometimes, I’m not even watching anything! I’ll just be mindlessly changing channels, not really watching anything in particular because once I sit down, I don’t want to get back up again.
I could never give up watching Doctor Who, but I see a TV-less challenge coming up in the near future!
6. I want to run a marathon one day. A half-marathon is on my to-do list for this year, but one day I’d like to be able to run a whole marathon.
7. I want more tattoos. I currently have three of them, but I want to get several more!
Tune in for the next challenge: 6 places where I want to travel!