Winter. Is. Coming.
Yes, I know, it’s only October and the fall season is here. But with frost warnings and snow hitting nearby states, it’s only a matter of time.
Winters here in Iowa are brutal. Lots of snow, ice, and frigid temperatures. It makes me want to act like a bear and hibernate, so this year I’ve decided to come up with a game plan and make winter as bearable (no pun intended!) as possible. Here is the game plan:
- Stay consistent with exercising first thing in the morning. I’ve been doing this for almost six months and it has made such a huge difference in my fitness. Doing my workouts first thing in the morning means that other things aren’t coming up to interrupt my routine. Getting up and working out first thing helps distract me from the darkness of early mornings. I can move on with my days knowing that my workouts are already done.
- Eat extra helpings of fruits, greens, and vegetables. The extra nutrients will not only help me fight off the creepy cruds that come this time of year, but will also help boost my mood.
- Get outdoors more often. This one will be tough, as I hate the cold and snow. I also have a slight phobia of walking when it’s icy. A few years ago, I slipped on a patch of ice and got a concussion, and so now I’m afraid to walk outside in the winter. I’m going to invest in some good winter boots and I’m making myself go outside for fresh air and sunshine.
- Socialize more. I’m an introvert by nature, but in winter, I tend to isolate myself even more which doesn’t help at all with the winter blues. I plan to say yes to more social things, even if it means dragging myself outside in the snow and cold.
- Use my light box. It’s at work, sitting at my desk, but I always forget to use it. This year I want to use it consistently and see if it makes a difference with my winter blues.
That’s the plan. How about you? How do you fight off the winter blues?
May your glass always be full,